A question about a recipe: American Flag Cake

I have a question about the recipe "American Flag Cake" from erinmcdowell. What would be the baking time change and temperature change if using an 8 inch round cake pan instead of 9?

• Posted by: Anahi
  • July 1, 2014
168cfe9e 83d6 4351 bf98 90f20c8b576b  flag cake contedxt
Recipe question for: American Flag Cake

Liza's Kitchen NYC

One inch isn't really all that much when it comes to baking time. The variability would be similar to cooking time one oven vs. another. The recipe calls for 35-45 minutes, so I'd start checking the cakes at 30 minutes and readjust based on how done they are at that point. They cakes will be a bit higher (because the pan is smaller) so I'd guess that it may be closer to 40 minutes.

Liza's Kitchen NYC

Oh, just to clarify, you don't need to change the temperature at all.

Anahi
Anahi July 3, 2014

I followed your suggestion- baked at the same temperature for 40 minutes and came out PERFECT! Thank you!

Susan W July 1, 2014

In general, you would lower the temp by 25° and start testing 10 minutes after the original time. You also need to be careful of overflow because of the size difference. I wouldn't use all of the batter. I also wonder if you need to change the size of the cutout of the blue cake. Personally, I would go purchase the 9" pan, but if you can't, then just go for it.

MarZig
MarZig June 28, 2015

in the case of temperature, you don't need to change temp. Just adjust your cook time. with the smaller pan it will be a tad longer, however not much... like by 5 or 10 minutes. Check back of a store bought cake box, they generally have various cook times for different size cakes like cup cakes take less time to cook that 8 or 9 in pan vs 13 by 9 etc... I think the 8 inch will take a tad longer than 9 inch because wet mix is deeper/contained in smaller confines as appose to a larger pan spreading out the mix to cook more quickly

PieceOfLayerCake June 28, 2015

In general...and this goes especially for baking...its a very good idea to learn to recognize when something is done without relying on time/temp. Often, with variables such as weather, humidity and altitude, baking times vary wildly with any given temperature. The minute i began to know what "done" was, or as close to it as I possibly could manage, was the moment my cooking changed forever.

sonya
sonya August 10, 2015

You have two options - you can either reduce the oven temperature by 25 degrees, or keep it the same; either way, check it about 10 minutes sooner than you normally would, and don't pour all the batter into the pan, so it doesn't overflow in your oven.