A question about a recipe: Tilapia Poached in Olive Oil with Thyme and Garlic

1de8cf6a 066d 41c7 b6f8 8dd46a05cb4a  2014 0121 clara tilapia poached in olive oil 001

I have a question about the recipe "Tilapia Poached in Olive Oil with Thyme and Garlic" from Merrill Stubbs. How much of the oil do you think the fish absorbs? Does it become quite heavy and calorific?

asked by lloreen almost 4 years ago

Tobi @ brag&butter

I wouldn't be too worried about the absorption, since the fish is in the oil only 20 minutes. It takes a marinade 12 hours to sink 1 cm into fish or meat. The main thing will be the oil on the surface once you take the fish out of the oil. To save on oil, you can also put the fillets into individual freezer bags with only a few spoonfuls of oil and seasoning, push the air out of them and seal them tightly, and then put the bags into just simmering water. This way, the fisch will also be surrounded and hence poached in oil, but you can control the amount you add beforehand.

ATG117

It's been noted in previous threads by others that the absorption is minima. I have a hard time believing that, but have no science guiding my skepticism.