A question about a recipe: The Easiest Strawberry Shortcakes

6c2e9d01 f9a6 4451 8a03 846dfa3889a9  hxvyoqtptsxs7ud3cz2ietq8hljnuskgbanm7am4hse

I have a question about the recipe "The Easiest Strawberry Shortcakes" from Alice Medrich. One more: how much sugar should be put in the shortcake dough? It mentions sugar in the instructions but no specific amount.

asked by Sophie Wallerstedt over 4 years ago

That looks like a biscuit the shortcake is built on. I also build my shortcakes on biscuits, and I don't add any sugar. Not sure there is any need to add it.

I agree about adding a tablespoon or so - not enough to actually make the biscuits sweet, just sort of rounds them out. (James Beard's recipe is on this site too - for another good reference.) I also think it depends how sweet your berries are, or in this recipe, how sweet the puree - I usually macerate some of the berries in sugar, with a little lemon, same idea - it soaks in and flavors the biscuits too. Boulangere's sanding sugar on top (if available) is also a great touch - the slight crunch it adds is lovely.

LVB
LVB

The recipe does not call for mixing the sugar in with the dough. After you spoon the biscuit dough onto the parchment-lined baking sheet, just sprinkle some regular sugar or turbinado sugar crystals on top of the raw dough. Of course, if you prefer a sweeter flavor to the biscuit, then add the sugar to the dough mixture directly as Dessito suggested below. Enjoy!