Last day! Take 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go grant some wishes » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: The Easiest Strawberry Shortcakes

6c2e9d01 f9a6 4451 8a03 846dfa3889a9  hxvyoqtptsxs7ud3cz2ietq8hljnuskgbanm7am4hse

I have a question about the recipe "The Easiest Strawberry Shortcakes" from Alice Medrich. One more: how much sugar should be put in the shortcake dough? It mentions sugar in the instructions but no specific amount.

asked by Sophie Wallerstedt over 2 years ago

That looks like a biscuit the shortcake is built on. I also build my shortcakes on biscuits, and I don't add any sugar. Not sure there is any need to add it.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I agree about adding a tablespoon or so - not enough to actually make the biscuits sweet, just sort of rounds them out. (James Beard's recipe is on this site too - for another good reference.) I also think it depends how sweet your berries are, or in this recipe, how sweet the puree - I usually macerate some of the berries in sugar, with a little lemon, same idea - it soaks in and flavors the biscuits too. Boulangere's sanding sugar on top (if available) is also a great touch - the slight crunch it adds is lovely.

LVB

The recipe does not call for mixing the sugar in with the dough. After you spoon the biscuit dough onto the parchment-lined baking sheet, just sprinkle some regular sugar or turbinado sugar crystals on top of the raw dough. Of course, if you prefer a sweeter flavor to the biscuit, then add the sugar to the dough mixture directly as Dessito suggested below. Enjoy!