A question about a recipe: Sour Cherry Almond Frozen Yogurt

F59d217a eb2d 4b02 b448 380dbafa7969  2014 0624 wc sour cherry almond frozen yogurt 010

I have a question about the recipe "Sour Cherry Almond Frozen Yogurt" from Alejandra_. Is greek style yogurt necessary? I find most of the greek yogurts have emulsifiers in them such as gelatin or carageenan and I don't care to eat them.

asked by marla papernick about 4 years ago

Greek-style yogurt is just strained yogurt. You can do this with regular yogurt by letting the yogurt drain through some cheesecloth until its is nice and thick, ~4-6 hours sometimes longer. So yes, you can use regular yogurt just drain off the whey or the texture of the frozen yogurt will be too hard and icy.

anne

I strain my yoghurt with cheesecloth lining a wire mesh strainer. I usually leave it straining in the fridge overnight. I don't know if the liquid is of any use.

amy
amy

Not sure what brands you buy but I just checked and Fage, Chobani, Stonyfield and Wallaby and they only contain milk and cultures (at least according to their websites). I wouldn't want emulsifiers either.

strawberrygirl

Gelatin is actually a common ingredient in yogurt in general, not just Greek yogurt. It usually seems to be the cheaper brands that use it. In addition to the ones amy mentioned, Liberté is another brand that doesn't contain emulsifiers. But as others noted, you can also just strain regular yogurt through cheesecloth to thicken it up.