A question about a recipe: Heirloom Tomato and Lemon Mascarpone Tart

3b915f93 de7c 489a af45 32247661a5a0  2017 0717 tomato lemon mascarpone tart julia gartland 2160

I have a question about the recipe "Heirloom Tomato and Lemon Mascarpone Tart" from nannydeb. Can I use butter instead of shortening for this pastry crust?

asked by Emily_JK over 4 years ago

nannydeb

I've never subbed butter for this particular recipe, but it would have to be room temperature if you do. Then you would have to refrigerate the dough for about an hour before you roll it out. You can use your usual butter crust recipe for this tart too.

Bunnee Butterfield

My experience in substituting butter for shortening is that the result is less firm. For example, cookies spread more and are thinner. I'm not sure if this would be true for a pastry, but I would chill it really well before baking.