A question about a recipe: Homemade Vanilla and Lavender Extracts

C4262fa1 0620 41a7 9aa0 6c973855189b  vanilla

I have a question about the recipe "Homemade Vanilla and Lavender Extracts" from Trisha Jones. Do you split the vanilla beans at all before inserting it into the vodka? Or do you just leave them whole?

asked by Cindy M over 4 years ago

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Cindy - split the vanilla beans and run a knife along the inside. Then put the soft gooey insides back into the vodka along with the vanilla bean.

Cindy M

Thank you! I had seen that in other instructions for vanilla extract, but didn't see it here.

Trisha Jones

Hi Cindy, Yes I cut mine down the middle with scissors or a knife. works like a charm :)

Tommy

I always crush them with a rolling pin to break the seeds inside then I split them lengthwise and if necessary, cut in half. I also use white rum instead of vodka. Its amazing.

Two great ideas. So, do you just use a light rum? Does the vanilla have a rummy flavor?