A question about a recipe: Beer Can Chicken

I have a question about the recipe "Beer Can Chicken " from Cara Nicoletti. I made one the other day..mmm was not done after slo cooking @2hours.that recipe [email protected] degrees. 2burner one side on.etc..what grill temperature do you use? Any comment helpful.

• Posted by: jadams
  • July 17, 2014
42fb79af c436 4d97 ae4d 0ba32596c752  beer can chicken 1
Recipe question for: Beer Can Chicken

Susan W July 17, 2014

Hmm..the instructions call for 300-350 degrees for one hour. I would go.350-375 which is how I cook all my chicken on my gas grill. I actually just bought a chicken and beer today and will make this recipe.

jadams
jadams July 17, 2014

Thank you.I didn't think the oven and gas grill were similar to the temp gauge..iassumed the temp instruction would be with the grill section. LOL

Susan W July 17, 2014

My grill has a temp guage in the lid, but I baked some lemon chicken in an enamel cast iron pan and had it sitting on a cast iron griddle so the pan wouldn't turn black. The chicken didn't brown like it does in my oven, so I have a feeling I need to go even higher temp. 350-375 directly on the grill is perfect.

jadams
jadams July 17, 2014

I did place the beer chicken on a flat pan also..and it didn't turn a lovely brown either..my grilling will only get better..TY

bamcnamara
bamcnamara July 18, 2014

I set half of my grill on high and put the chicken on the can on the other side (indirect grilling) I don't think it's necessary to do as a "slow cook". I love this recipe and make at least once a week.....good luck!!!!

Patti in Mississippi

I make these all of the time on my gas grill. I have 3 vertical burners. Leave the outside two on at medium high (375) and the middle one off. They turn out beautiful and brown!

jadams
jadams July 18, 2014

Thank you! .mines a4 burner.had the middle off...here in Texas it's hot.even on low....that's why I tried a slow cookin style at low heat @280 like that other recipe stated....wasnt beautiful brown but was moist at most places..I was concerned about difference in thigh and breast temp..