A question about a recipe: Five Minute, No-Bake Vegan Granola Bars

2298c29e 23e4 4776 82b4 5ec4b0a9e98d  bars tight

I have a question about the recipe "Five Minute, No-Bake Vegan Granola Bars" from Gena Hamshaw. Hello! I have tried to make them, but the problem is that oats are swelling and after one day granola bar is really dry. Maybe You have and advices how to avoid that? Is there a difference if I use gluten free or traditional rolled oats? Thanks!

asked by Inga Ērgle almost 4 years ago

I looked at the recipe and it sounds dry. I am not a vegan bar person, but you should know that oats are always gluten free. They may have a trace if processed in a plant that also processes gluten products.

strawberrygirl

Susan, most commercial oats are processed in plants that also process wheat, barley and/or rye, so trace contamination is common unless you buy oats specifically labelled as gluten-free. That's why a lot of people with celiac disease avoid oats, as even small traces can make them quite sick.

Inga, there shouldn't be any difference in the result if you use gluten-free oats. Gluten-free oats are just oats that haven't been grown, stored or processed near gluten-containing grains so you can be certain there's no trace contamination. But I notice the recipe says you can use either quick oats or regular rolled oats, so perhaps there could be a difference in the result depending on which of those kinds you used.

Strawberrygirl, I think I mentioned the trace amount from processing. :0) I clarified because lately, I have spoken to several people who thought they contained gluten similar to wheat etc.

strawberrygirl

Ah, got it. :) I read it as though you were suggesting trace contamination was not all that common or maybe didn't realize even trace amounts were problematic for celiacs, so I just wanted to add some clarification. I think part of the reason people get confused is that celiacs will often just say they can't eat oats as shorthand rather than get into a whole big thing about it.

Nope...not saying trace amounts are okay for celiacs (I had a personal chef client with celiac). I'll bet you are right about the confusion..never thought about that. :)

Gena Hamshaw

Hi Inga!

There shouldn't be a great difference between GF and regular rolled oats, but oats can certainly vary in terms of absorbency. If you're finding them to be dry or crumbly, I'd try adding a bit more sweetener (maybe 3-4 extra tbsp) and maybe 2 extra tbsp but butter. See if that binds them!

Gena