A question about a recipe: Grilled Flatbread

I have a question about the recipe "Grilled Flatbread" from erinmcdowell. Is it possible to cook this grilled flatbread not on a grill or grill pan? I unfortunately have no such thing in my recently moved-into Bronx apartment. Will a frying pan work...?

0bf08bf6 5960 4ff2 aea6 a58ce24447ba  flatbread
Recipe question for: Grilled Flatbread

sfmiller
sfmiller August 28, 2014

I would think so. The dough is similar to pita bread (with a little more fat), which can be successfully baked in a skillet.

HalfPint August 28, 2014

Yes, a frying pan would work, but non-stick coated pans should not be heated anywhere in excess of 450F. At around 500F, Teflon coating will start to decompose and twill start emitting toxic gas. Smoking hot is a vague term, but I'm guessing it is close to that temperature. I would advise against using a frying pan because that high of a temp can also cause the pan to warp.

Do you have a cast iron skillet? Now those can really take the heat. I've made naan on the stovetop using my 10" cast iron skillet and it worked beautifully. Bonus: cast iron lasts forever (with proper care) and they are so inexpensive.

Sarah Marx
Sarah Marx August 28, 2014

Unfortunately I also don't have a cast iron skillet. Just some nonstick pans. I guess I will try it!

Susan W August 28, 2014

Sarah, using your oven would be better than using a non stick pan. You can lay the dough directly on the rack. I've done it with pizza dough many times, so I am quite sure it will work with flatbread dough.

Sarah Marx
Sarah Marx August 28, 2014

What temperature do you set the oven to?

Susan W August 28, 2014

I go as hot as I can. 450 - 500. At that temp, you can follow the grill instructions in the recipe. My grill has a temp guage and it reaches 500 on high and drops to 450 when I open the lid and put food on.

Susan W August 28, 2014

I also meant to add, you might want to invest in a cast iron grill pan for your crib. :) They are inexpensive and will come in handy for breads like this, steaks and burgers.

Sarah Marx
Sarah Marx August 28, 2014

Thank you so much! And yes, I will invest.

Susan W August 28, 2014

Good luck! :)

Nancy August 29, 2014

Another way to bake in oven (in addition to on the rack per Susan W) is on sheet tray/cookie pan - both designed for baking temps.

Horto
Horto August 29, 2014

its like cooking pizza

fitzie
fitzie August 29, 2014

Of course. Cast iron would be best.

Valley
Valley September 8, 2014

Hi Sarah! From what I remember of the dough when working with it, is that it is very sticky. So, the heat should be very, very hot. I'd love to experiment if the grill pan or pan is hot enough, but be cautious of burning the bread. Sounds like fry bread! Anyone have any experience with fry bread?

Horto
Horto September 8, 2014

i just saw Alton Brown grilling some sort of flatbread, over the gas stove on what looked like a cooling rack, he moved it about with the help of a pliers of some sort, kinda like over the camp fire, my kinda thing….as of late i have been making a big mess using my stove top gas burners like an outdoor grill, and yes I have a grill

enjoy!

tina
tina November 20, 2014

i just made mine in a frying pan lightly brushed with oil and they cooked up nicely!