Today's the last day of our NYC Holiday Market. So come see us! »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Bulk Bin Snack Bars

00ce2da7 389b 4796 83d1 2344ee6095ec  easy granola bar recipe food52 mark weinberg 14 09 02 0084

I have a question about the recipe "Bulk Bin Snack Bars" from Kendra Vaculin. can these be baked so they "set up"?

asked by megan about 2 years ago
F3fdbabe d72e 44f9 919d eecf03b7e10e  liza skitchenlogo

It looks like from the recipe that they are supposed to set without baking. Did you find this to be not true?

I simply prefer bars that get baked as they don't have to stay refrigerated. I was looking for something more portable. I was curious if these could be adapted.

I'd think that you could bake these, but I'm not sure that they would set up. I've tried bars similar to these before and they never quite "stick" the way they should. I use this recipe all the time and it works perfectly:http://www.foodnetwork.... I edit it by removing the rice krispies and wheat germ and add dried fruit, various seeds (sesame & sunflower) and flax meal in it's place. Sometimes I also use toasted quinoa. I also usually cut the recipe in half because it does make an awful lot of granola bars. Instead of dipping in chocolate, I add about a half cup of chips to the mix. I also leave them in the oven a touch longer than the recipe states. The bars always come out hard (I do put them in the fridge to quick cool them) and there is no need to keep them in the fridge when they are done. I throw a couple in my purse for a snack and they always survive just fine.

43e0dfb8 0359 4b73 8e28 11e3c7008541  dsc 0973

hi megan! i didnt try baking them --- i'm sure it would help them stay more rigid, but i worry it might dry them out TOO much and they'd break your teeth off. perhaps at a heat and duration like toasting granola (350 for 10 minutes)? i found that they kept their shape after i froze them overnight, so they were easy to cut and transport. if you do end up trying to bake them, let me know how it works out!