A question about a recipe: Brioche Peach Cake

Ba97f84c 4778 43a7 9f6a 00b012974e4e  peach cake

I have a question about the recipe "Brioche Peach Cake" from Saritchka. I don't like almond paste any suggestions on a good replacement?

asked by Franca almost 4 years ago

I don't see where it calls for almond paste. It calls for almond meal which is simply ground almonds.

Oops..I must not have read far enough. I didn't realize there was a filling. I agree with HalfPint, you may want to find a recipe that doesn't call for almond paste. I don't care for marzipan/nut pastes either.

I might want to try, if you can find it, hazelnut paste, for the filling. Just be aware that it's going to taste very different and if you don't like almond paste, it might be better to try a recipe that does not use it as a filling and flavoring.

Another nut paste to try is pistachio paste. And like the hazelnut paste, you have to like it's strong flavor. I only worry that the nut flavor (of either nut pastes) will overwhelm the peach flavor

mstv

Some people who don't like commercial almond paste have no problem with homemade if you make it without adding any almond extract. Have you ever tried that workaround?

mstv

mstv

Sorry my iPad went weird and I accidentally posted my answer twice!

Love pistachio paste, but very pricey. A thought for a non-nut direction: instead of the almond paste/egg/sugar mixture, maybe you could use creme fraiche/sugar/egg/vanilla or almond extract as the layer beneath the peach slices. I've used one like that for fruit tarts, including one I make with a cakey sort of 'crust' - not brioche, but also a soft, not too sweet base.

Franca

Thank you so much for all the suggestions.

Saritchka

While I love the extra layer from the filling it is not necessary. you can toss the peaches in sugar and lemon juice and lay them out nicely over the brioche and then top with any remaining lemon/sugar juices before the final proofing.

Saritchka

I don't like the almond paste (aka marzipan) that's sold in baking sections. However some years ago I got a recipe for making almond paste and I was amazed how different it in in both taste and texture from the commercial product. I love using it in coffee cakes and Almond Croissants. I'll post the recipe in my recipes so you can find it if you'd like to try it.

nutcakes

Wow, that recipe sounds great. I wonder if apples would work. I don't mind the almond paste and it sounds interesting that is is pureed into eggs. But someone in my house is allergic to eggs, boo.