A question about a recipe: Paul Bertolli's Cauliflower Soup

7ee28ff9 d34a 447c b77d 2c9ccc33ecf9  xvxoj5quamukmmilgysu6xhcblb4ui5n2b21dv9nvhu

I have a question about the recipe "Paul Bertolli's Cauliflower Soup" from Genius Recipes. Will it detract from the cauliflower flavor if I use homemade vegetable stock instead of water?

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

asked about 4 years ago

I have not made this yet, but it's on my short list. I was reading the comments (I so love reading them) and a lot of oeople used chicken stock and a few used veg broth and one used lobster stock. They all loved the soup. As long as your veg stock isn't super strong flavored with something like broccoli, I think you should try it. I am a huge fan of following the recipe as written the first time, but I would be tempted to use at least part homemade veg or chicken stock. And there ya have my 2 cents. :0)

The point of this lovely soup is that, following typical holiday excesses, it's assembly and flavors are simple and clean. To be honest, I also thaw a container of vegetable stock from the freezer to use. It's heavenly.

ATG117

Curious as to why you'd go with stock when you can use water. Sometimes, I think you get the cleanest flavor that way. I was watching The Chew the other day, and Mario Batali made a cauliflower soup with water for that very reason.