🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Artusi’s Butternut Squash Pie (Torta di Zucca Gialla)

7697282e 048a 46c0 9c04 d09d1c265394  pumpkin tart img 4371 food52

I have a question about the recipe "Artusi’s Butternut Squash Pie (Torta di Zucca Gialla)" from Emiko. can I use flour instead of almond meal?

asked by barb about 3 years ago

9415f039 d6dc 487a 8dce 9ff4e97bf9ae  emiko davies new portrait

I actually haven't had experience replacing with flour, but my guess is that it won't really be the same! Over flour, I'd perhaps try any other nut meal or if you're allergic to nuts or don't want to use them, you could perhaps try something like brown rice flour, potato starch or even desiccated coconut.

69d2403d 88f4 4b72 b0b9 84a21f4d0561  img 1445

Potato starch would work? The potato starch I find in Denmark is like a substitute for corn starch; it's used as a thickener and has that same funny feeling between your fingers when you rub it. Perhaps other countries make potato starch that is more similar to flour?

Hi Carla, yes potato starch is similar to corn starch (potato flour on the other hand is a completely different product, not to be used in this case!) - In Italy potato starch is used in cakes like sponges for a super fluffy, light result. I've used it often in cakes and although I haven't tried it in this pie yet, I think it might work as a slightly different replacement if someone wanted to substitute for the almond meal.

Interesting! I've never used potato starch as anything but a thickener. Thanks for the information.

Here's an example for making a sponge with potato starch (another recipe that dates back to Artusi's cookbook!): https://food52.com/recipes...