A question about a recipe: Artusi’s Butternut Squash Pie (Torta di Zucca Gialla)

I have a question about the recipe "Artusi’s Butternut Squash Pie (Torta di Zucca Gialla)" from Emiko. Is this pie sweet? That being unclear, what is the best way to serve this pie- dessert, snack, appetizer?

Matilda Luk
Matilda Luk October 30, 2014

Well, it's garnished with powdered sugar, so I'd say it was dessert.

Pegeen October 30, 2014

It will be sweet - it calls for a few ounces of brown sugar in the pie and suggests dusting the top with confectioner's sugar. And butternut squash has a lot of sweet starch by itself. I would serve it as a dessert, or sweet snack with coffee or tea.

Susan W October 30, 2014

In the comments, people are eating it for breakfast, snacks or dessert. I think it's one of those recipes that are sweet, but not overly.

Dea Henrich
Dea Henrich October 30, 2014

Based on the ingredients, it looks like a sweet pumpkin-type pie.

Emiko
Emiko October 30, 2014

Hi Kira, yes it's a dessert! I've suggested it as an alternative to regular pumpkin pie. In the photos you can see it's covered in powdered sugar and if you look at the ingredients you will see brown sugar is one of the very few main ingredients! Hopefully all clear now :)