A question about a recipe: Artusi’s Butternut Squash Pie (Torta di Zucca Gialla)

7697282e 048a 46c0 9c04 d09d1c265394  pumpkin tart img 4371 food52

I have a question about the recipe "Artusi’s Butternut Squash Pie (Torta di Zucca Gialla)" from Emiko. Is this pie sweet? That being unclear, what is the best way to serve this pie- dessert, snack, appetizer?

asked by Kira Boyle over 3 years ago

Matilda Luk

Well, it's garnished with powdered sugar, so I'd say it was dessert.

It will be sweet - it calls for a few ounces of brown sugar in the pie and suggests dusting the top with confectioner's sugar. And butternut squash has a lot of sweet starch by itself. I would serve it as a dessert, or sweet snack with coffee or tea.

In the comments, people are eating it for breakfast, snacks or dessert. I think it's one of those recipes that are sweet, but not overly.

Dea Henrich

Based on the ingredients, it looks like a sweet pumpkin-type pie.

Emiko

Hi Kira, yes it's a dessert! I've suggested it as an alternative to regular pumpkin pie. In the photos you can see it's covered in powdered sugar and if you look at the ingredients you will see brown sugar is one of the very few main ingredients! Hopefully all clear now :)