I haven't made this cake, but I substitute cream sherry for dry sherry all the time. It will likely make the cake a little sweeter. With two cups of sugar, it's a pretty sweet cake. You might want to cut back a tablespoon or two to compensate.

I wouldn't. Cream sherry is VERY sweet. Dry Sherry, as the name infers, is not. It will definitely change the character of the cake. If all you want it for is liquid to measure, then it doesn't matter what you use. You could sub out water...

ChezHenry

Im with June on this. The products are very different. This is the main flavoring agent of the cake. Having grown up on traditional English Trifle, my mom would roll her eyes on this substitution!

Nancy Harmon Jenkins
Nancy Harmon Jenkins

Nancy is a food writer, historian, and author of many books, her most recent being Virgin Territory: Exploring the World of Olive Oil, forthcoming from Houghton Mifflin.

I'm with Dr. Babs on this: do substitute, but cut back on the large amount of sugar in the cake to compensate for the added sweetness.

Teresa Gagliardi

I did not want to chance it so i bought some dry sherry.. Cake is delicious. I may try it with the cream sherry sometime and use less sugar to compare the two.