A question about a recipe: Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Icing and Caramelized Pumpkin Seeds

1ac13895 b2bb 449d b81d 8b6f6b1670d5  2014 0926 pumpkin cake 004

I have a question about the recipe "Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Icing and Caramelized Pumpkin Seeds" from Sarah Jampel. how far ahead can it be made ??

asked by Jennifer Jackson almost 4 years ago

ktr
ktr

I haven't made this exact cake but I don't see any reason why you couldn't make the cake the day before and then store the frosting separately in the fridge, and then frost the cake right before eating it. You could frost it right away but it will taste fresher if you wait to frost it.

You could make the cake a week ahead. Let it cool completely and then wrap well in plastic wrap and freeze. You can make the cream cheese frosting the day before. Keep in airtight container in fridge. You can make the caramelized pumpkin seeds 3 days before and keep in a sealed air tight container. I would put it all together the day you are using it. Defrost the cake in the fridge the day before. Let the cream cheese frosting come to room temp before using it. You might have to re-whip. You can do those two steps the morning that you are going to use it and then put the frosted cake into the fridge. Take it out about 30 minutes before serving and top with the pumpkin seeds.

Jennifer Jackson

I was thinking of making this as a "thanksgiving gift" and would need to make it on Tuesday before Thanksgiving and also deliver it to them that day --- so maybe no cream cheese frosting ???

ktr
ktr

Maybe it's just me, but if someone delivered me a cake on Tuesday, there is no way I would wait to eat it until Thursday. And most definitely no way I would be able to keep my family from eating it until then. I'd say either bring them the cake and frosting separately and let them frost it, or bring it all frosted up with the assumption that they will show as little restraint as I would.

It would be a shame to lose the cream cheese frosting. Maybe it would be best to choose another cake