A question about a recipe: Short Rib Ragu

4ed782b1 3d11 4b59 bc69 9d446397b896  110111f 356

I have a question about the recipe "Short Rib Ragu" from Minimally Invasive. Would boneless short ribs be okay or is bone-in essential?

asked by Molly about 4 years ago

Minimally Invasive

Hi Molly - boneless would be fine! The liquid won't be quite as rich and it probably won't need to cook for quite as long, but they're definitely ok to use! Hope you enjoy it. :)

It's an awesome recipe!!

ChezHenry

I prefer them on the bone, but youll be fine boneless. I actually like the Flanken cut, cut across the bones. My Chinese mother-in-law turned me onto them, its very very inexpensive in NYC's Chinatown.

I bought boneless ribs not long ago because the bone in didn't look as meaty as they normally do. They turned out really well. I've also been using them for beef stew for two and it's awesome. Bones add flavor and a rich texture, but I have found the boneless have enough fat and collagen to be perfectly good.

bigpan

Of course you can use boneless, but, I recall an old saying "the closer the bone, the sweeter the meat" which really means tastier not necessarily sweeter. I always buy meats with the bone. Not only do you get more flavor, it also makes a better presentation.