Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Chocolate-Mashed Potato Cake with Ganache

E9e49ae0 3fa6 4213 9159 476057615267  2014 0103 wc chocolate mashed potato cake with ganache 010 1

I have a question about the recipe "Chocolate-Mashed Potato Cake with Ganache" from janeofmanytrade. omgoodness ~ followed all of the recipe instructions ~ cooled for over 20 minutes. when I removed from the bundt pan, the bottom of the cake remained in the pan.. tasted o.k., however, looks like a big mess. what went wrong? any ideas? also, is the ganache glaze sweet? I noticed ingredients of just the bittersweet chocolate and half and half. i would like to add a "sweet" glaze to my very lopsided, good tasting cake. thanks for any help. i'm a fairly new cake baker so any help will be appreciated.

asked by lori benet about 2 years ago

Bundt pans are tricky sometimes and need to be greased and floured really well to release the cake. After the 20 minute cool, I'd flip it onto a cooling rack and let it sit upside down a few more minutes before trying to gently lift off the pan.
As for the glaze, you could always use semi-sweet chocolate instead if you don't want the rich darkness of bittersweet.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Did it look like a big mess because the top broke off?. Or was it still raw in the middle?. I agree with Angela about the need to heavily butter and flour (I'd use cocoa powder.) the pan, but also make sure you test the cake so that you know it's cooked through. As for ganache, it's all about the chocolate you use. Choose one that you like the taste of.

And be proud of yourself for taking this on!.

128bfde0 0e2e 49d4 b156 0bf75cc58a36  open uri20141112 17496 zjswlc
Sue

Those Bundt pans can be a pain in the tush. Definitely flour and butter well. If I'm baking a chocolate based dessert, I use cocoa powder as a substitute for flour.

If you want the glaze to be sweet, you can add a little sugar to the ganache...but taste test as you add sugar. Another way to have a sweeter dessert is to sprinkle powdered sugar over your cake and ganache. Hope that helps!