🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Margaret Fox's Amazon Chocolate Cake

Ffcd4803 ce58 48bb 961c ec16ecaa9b0c  2013 1001 genius chocolate cake 450

I have a question about the recipe "Margaret Fox's Amazon Chocolate Cake" from Genius Recipes. Also, how could I make it more moist? Do I use more oil/some yogurt?

asked by valerie over 2 years ago

Before you tinker with/fix this cake recipe, can you figure out why the one you made tasted dry/not moist enough? Oven temp? over-beating? If you still want to tinker, I would stay away from oil. Don't know enough about yogurt. One sure-fire way to make cake (and bread) stay moist is to mix in some mashed potatoes. They add body and moisture without changing flavor. Use about 1/4 to 1/2 cup first time and see how it goes. (Ratio based on this recipe which has about 2x the flour of amazon cake - http://www.starchefs.com...)

Hmm, it's interesting that you think this needs to be more moist. I've found the recipe to be relatively moist when I made it myself, but it might be because I underbaked it by several minutes and let it set naturally overnight. Typically oil-based cakes tend to be more moist than butter based ones, but maybe try substituting a little more oil for some of the water, or even runny buttermilk or whey if you have some on hand.