🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Spiced Pear, Gorgonzola, and Walnut Pie

6428a301 4927 4c83 90c9 2f657af6c11e  8061765146 3bb201d0f8 b

I have a question about the recipe "Spiced Pear, Gorgonzola, and Walnut Pie" from Beth Kirby | {local milk}. How long will this pie keep if I bake it in advance without getting soggy??

asked by Meredith Busman almost 3 years ago

82bc15be d3cf 410a 9b82 665e7b26bd26  1081
Stephanie Bourgeois

Stephanie is the Head Recipe Tester of Food52.

You could assemble the pie well in advanced, then freeze it and then bake it from frozen when ready to serve. Alternatively, you could bake it, then freeze it, and then defrost by baking it in the oven so it doesn't get soggy.

79e832e7 7554 4b74 b9bb edd6540d1515  fullsizeoutput 1ba7

Would you recommend baking it at the same temp as stated in the recipe, or starting hotter and lowering the temp after 10-15 minutes. And is it best to go straight from freezer to oven, or should I defrost it overnight? Thanks for the tips!

Cb1f39cf 01c0 446e bf21 2ac50f587205  twitter

I'd agree with Stephanie. Make the pie, as it says and then wrap in saran or plastic wrap well and freeze. When you're ready to bake, preheat the oven and go straight from freezer to oven. Pies make wonderfully this way, please cold butter steams when it hits the hot oven and creates beautiful layers and texture within the pie dough. Enjoy!