A question about a recipe: Slow-Roasted Turkey

5e5f6282 5b91 4f33 94dc 7d68e7affd8a  2014 1111 slow roasted turkey699

I have a question about the recipe "Slow-Roasted Turkey" from erinmcdowell. Ive seen other people advocate cooking the turkey upside down to get the juices to run down into the breast meat, but they are talking about higher temps for longer times. Do you think this would make a difference with the slow cook method?

asked by Alfredo Ceballos about 4 years ago

Stephanie Bourgeois
Stephanie Bourgeois

Stephanie is the Head Recipe Tester of Food52.

I don't think it would hurt the turkey, but roasting it breast side up as in the recipe will help get the beautiful, crispy skin on the presentation side of the turkey. The slow roast with lots of basting as Erin describes should give you nice moist meat and beautiful crispy skin.

Alfredo Ceballos

thanks for the prompt reply, I'll go with the slow roast. Per the recipe above, the turkey should be done after 10hrs, does it just come out and sit for 30 mins to let juices distribute or can it be served immediately?

Stephanie Bourgeois
Stephanie Bourgeois

You can let it sit for 30 minutes so the meat has time to settle before carving.