A question about a recipe: Roasted Onion Salad with Arugula and Walnut Salsa

554d4a8f 4181 4132 b57d 9a43bf29d005  roasted red onions with walnut salad food52 mark weinberg 14 11 04 0214

I have a question about the recipe "Roasted Onion Salad with Arugula and Walnut Salsa" from Marian Bull. Is the garlic meant to be chopped? If so, how small?

asked by Sarah Hamilton about 4 years ago

bigpan

Since the directions do no specify any method I would chop small, then smear with the flat of your chefs knife on a bed (pinch) of salt and mix in. Unless of course you love to bite into chunks of raw garlic, then chop accordingly.

Dawne Marie
Dawne Marie

Dawne is a Recipe Tester for Food52

According to another adapted version of this Ottolenghi recipe, you process the all of the salsa ingredients in a food processor until the garlic is finely chopped. I would say it's up to your discretion, finely chop the garlic and mix with the rest of the ingredients or process it in a food processor.

agree with Dawne, it's your choice. But/and I find that chopping garlic finely on a board with salt gives a lovely paste and great dispersal of flavor in a sauce.

Sarah Hamilton

You don't happen to have a link to that recipe, do you? Thanks for the help.

Dawne Marie
Dawne Marie

Dawne is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Hi Sarah, the link I found was here: http://inmybowl.com/2014/11/06/roasted-red-onion-salad-cherry-pepper-walnut-salsa/