A question about a recipe: Baked Apples in Puff Pastry

I have a question about the recipe "Baked Apples in Puff Pastry" from Judy at Two Broads Abroad. Are the Apples supposed to be crunchy?

13f7b28b a97a 45f8 92d2 2411f7e0f57b  img 2116
Recipe question for: Baked Apples in Puff Pastry

1 Comment

ATG117
ATG117 December 14, 2014

I'm actually puzzled by this recipe because at 15-20 minutes of baking time, I assume the apples will still be crunchy, which I can't imagine being the desired effect. I would say bake them longer, but I'm not sure if the puff pastry will hold up. Hopefully someone else will weigh in.

ChezHenry
ChezHenry December 14, 2014

You are correct, these apples will no be tender in that allotted time. I regularly make Marcella Hazan's Baked Apples with Amaretti Cookies, these are not wrapped in puff pastry, and those cook at 400 degrees for 45-55 minutes depending on your apple. I also have made Michael Roux's Caged Apples, which are wrapped in pie crust (Pate Brisee), and those bake in a slow oven of 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. My go-to Tarte Tatine, with quartered apples, bakes at 375 for 45-55 minutes, covered with puff pastry.
I like my cooked apples to be soft. The concern with any apple recipe is that the pastry will be cooked prior to the apple being tender, and that the apple will give off too much liquid, rendering the pie or Tarte a mushy mess with a poor crust. Thats why many recipes, including the Apple Pie from Cook's Illustrated and many Tartr Tatin recipes, cook the apples down partially prior to introducing them to the pastry.
Personally, I would pre-bake these for 20 minutes, then cool them. Then I would wrap and bake them at 375(350 in a convection oven) for 20-25 minutes.