A question about a recipe: Salmon Ochazuke (tea rice)

Afcf49db 5929 477c 997e aed909f21a6e  ochazuke

I have a question about the recipe "Salmon Ochazuke (tea rice)" from solmstea. Could Smoked Salmon be used for this recipe?

asked by Rey Compañeros almost 4 years ago

Yes, but I would not do Step 1, "rub with lots of salt." The smoked salmon you will use is probably seasoned already.

Rey Compañeros

Hrm....thanks for the tip.

solmstea

Assuming you mean lox, it certainly could work fine, though it would not be traditional (which, of course, has no bearing on taste). Traditionally the recipe would use leftover fish, and usually flaked fish or fish that would easily break up in the soup. The only problems I see with smoke salmon is that a) you may have to cut it up into little pieces to be able to easily eat it and b) it may actually cook in the hot broth. Probably doesn't effect the taste, but it would likely take on a different consistency than usual. But try it, what's the worst that could happen?

Rey Compañeros

Good insight. Thank you. Frankly, I'm not sure how the taste would come out, but it was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the recipe. So I will ponder this a bit. Thanks again.