A question about a recipe: Buttermilk Biscuits

I have a question about the recipe "Buttermilk Biscuits" from erinmcdowell. Please help me understand how 5 cups of all purpose flour can equal 24 ounces. (Okay, I suppose if you really pack it in, but I can't believe the Food52 kitchen would do that.) One would expect it to be 21.25 ounces, at most. Which method - weight or volume - was actually used when testing this? Thank you ;o)

25361cb0 eda3 4724 8b03 68c83bf752f2  15720424702 9f34c06f4a k
Recipe question for: Buttermilk Biscuits

Susan W December 24, 2014

AJ, you may want to read the comments. The two at the top (those were the only comments I read) may have you adjusting the flour.

AntoniaJames December 24, 2014

The ratios seem completely out of whack on this one, which is why I asked what method of measuring was actually used. There should be a third more butter (8 ounces vs 6) for those amounts of flour and buttermilk, if measured by weight. ;o)

Susan W December 24, 2014

It's too bad because they look amazing.

hardlikearmour December 25, 2014

Interesting. Flour weights are definitely variable based on measuring method. According to Rose Levy Beranbaum and the folks at Cook's Illustrated (from their Baking Book). Dip and sweep measured AP flour is 5 oz per cup. Sifted then measured is 4 oz. RLB also has weight for lightly spooned at 4.25 per cup. I'm with you on erring on the side of less flour, though.

hardlikearmour December 25, 2014

Looking through the comments and also at the KA flour site, it does look like there was a scaling error at some point and there is not enough baking powder. (using the KAF chart for weight of AP flour would have me add an extra tablespoon, as recommended by a commenter).

Erin McDowell
Erin McDowell December 26, 2014

Hi Antonia!

In search of an answer, I made biscuits and gravy for my family this morning (thanks for the excuse!!!) and you're right-I landed at 22 ounces measuring carefully with my mom's sort of wonky measuring cups. I'll change the recipe right away! Thanks for catching this!

Erin McDowell
Erin McDowell December 26, 2014

Hi Antonia!

In search of an answer, I made biscuits and gravy for my family this morning (thanks for the excuse!!!) and you're right-I landed at 22 ounces measuring carefully with my mom's sort of wonky measuring cups. I'll change the recipe right away! Thanks for catching this! I stand by the amounts of butter and baking powder, but will be interested to hear other's results increasing the baking powder!