🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Buttermilk Biscuits

25361cb0 eda3 4724 8b03 68c83bf752f2  15720424702 9f34c06f4a k

I have a question about the recipe "Buttermilk Biscuits" from erinmcdowell. Please help me understand how 5 cups of all purpose flour can equal 24 ounces. (Okay, I suppose if you really pack it in, but I can't believe the Food52 kitchen would do that.) One would expect it to be 21.25 ounces, at most. Which method - weight or volume - was actually used when testing this? Thank you ;o)

asked almost 3 years ago

AJ, you may want to read the comments. The two at the top (those were the only comments I read) may have you adjusting the flour.

The ratios seem completely out of whack on this one, which is why I asked what method of measuring was actually used. There should be a third more butter (8 ounces vs 6) for those amounts of flour and buttermilk, if measured by weight. ;o)

It's too bad because they look amazing.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Interesting. Flour weights are definitely variable based on measuring method. According to Rose Levy Beranbaum and the folks at Cook's Illustrated (from their Baking Book). Dip and sweep measured AP flour is 5 oz per cup. Sifted then measured is 4 oz. RLB also has weight for lightly spooned at 4.25 per cup. I'm with you on erring on the side of less flour, though.

Looking through the comments and also at the KA flour site, it does look like there was a scaling error at some point and there is not enough baking powder. (using the KAF chart for weight of AP flour would have me add an extra tablespoon, as recommended by a commenter).

0fecd8f8 6ef1 4649 9f57 83bf4668f3d0  3572
Erin McDowell

Baking consultant at large at Food52, and author of The Fearless Baker (Fall 2017)

Hi Antonia!

In search of an answer, I made biscuits and gravy for my family this morning (thanks for the excuse!!!) and you're right-I landed at 22 ounces measuring carefully with my mom's sort of wonky measuring cups. I'll change the recipe right away! Thanks for catching this!

Erin McDowell

Hi Antonia!

In search of an answer, I made biscuits and gravy for my family this morning (thanks for the excuse!!!) and you're right-I landed at 22 ounces measuring carefully with my mom's sort of wonky measuring cups. I'll change the recipe right away! Thanks for catching this! I stand by the amounts of butter and baking powder, but will be interested to hear other's results increasing the baking powder!