🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Honey Oat Whole Wheat Loaf

D1403792 97e7 4814 80b0 e61e2ca15380  breads b

I have a question about the recipe "Honey Oat Whole Wheat Loaf" from erinmcdowell. How would you do a pre-ferment for this bread? The article with which the recipe was posted recommends a pre-ferment, but offers no details. Thank you. ;o)

0fecd8f8 6ef1 4649 9f57 83bf4668f3d0  3572
Erin McDowell

Baking consultant at large at Food52, and author of The Fearless Baker (Fall 2017)

Hi AJ, the article just referenced that whole wheat flours can be great to use in bread baking - the preferment tenderizes the higher levels of protein in the flour and also brings out some of the deep, nutty flavors. Yum! This recipe is a super simple one that requires no preferment. Rather than altering this recipe to include a preferment, I would suggest starting with a recipe that utilizes whole wheat flour in it's preferment. Take a look at this one: https://food52.com/blog... - sourdough is particularly great with whole wheat! Let me know how you fare!