A question about a recipe: Honey Oat Whole Wheat Loaf

I have a question about the recipe "Honey Oat Whole Wheat Loaf" from erinmcdowell. How would you do a pre-ferment for this bread? The article with which the recipe was posted recommends a pre-ferment, but offers no details. Thank you. ;o)

• 1 Comment
D1403792 97e7 4814 80b0 e61e2ca15380  breads b
Recipe question for: Honey Oat Whole Wheat Loaf

1 Comment

Erin McDowell
Erin McDowell January 15, 2015

Hi AJ, the article just referenced that whole wheat flours can be great to use in bread baking - the preferment tenderizes the higher levels of protein in the flour and also brings out some of the deep, nutty flavors. Yum! This recipe is a super simple one that requires no preferment. Rather than altering this recipe to include a preferment, I would suggest starting with a recipe that utilizes whole wheat flour in it's preferment. Take a look at this one: https://food52.com/blog... - sourdough is particularly great with whole wheat! Let me know how you fare!