A question about a recipe: Coffee Cardamom Cake + Coffee Buttercream

I have a question about the recipe "Coffee Cardamom Cake + Coffee Buttercream" from gastroanthropologist. Regarding using the double boiler, just wanted to clarify: You should have water going at a low boil not touching the top pot while doing all the whisking of the egg whites, sugar, etc.??

1 Comment

ChefJune February 17, 2015

Whenever you use a double boiler, or the double boiler technique with a saucepan and a bowl, the simmering water should never touch the upper bowl.

AntoniaJames February 17, 2015

Yes, and the operative word is "simmering", especially when eggs are anywhere in sight. I often lift my bowl briefly off the heat altogether during a process like this, just to be sure. Working with ingredients at a lower temperature takes more time, but it's worth the extra few minutes, at most, involved. Cross the line to too much heat, and you're asking for trouble. ;o)