🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: New England Spider Cake

C86dff6b f259 4268 aa20 4f17de5a5fed  2014 1010 new england spider cake 018

I have a question about the recipe "New England Spider Cake" from Sarah Jampel. I don't have distilled vinegar or lemon juice. Can I acidulate the milk with cream of tartar?

asked by The Principal Cook almost 3 years ago

2952b175 586d 4f22 a09b 32145fae8cf2  beijing hotpot

Okay, never mind. I had 2 cups of buttermilk (just barely!), so I used that. I've also added white vinegar to my "must have in the pantry" list. ;-)

I'll let you know how it turns out.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

My answer would have been "No, go get vinegar or buttermilk.)
When you do add white vinegar to your pantry, try googling 'uses for white vinegar' and you will be amazed. Very useful!

And the answer is, it turned out beautifully with the buttermilk. And I now have white vinegar on hand.