A question about a recipe: New England Spider Cake

C86dff6b f259 4268 aa20 4f17de5a5fed  2014 1010 new england spider cake 018

I have a question about the recipe "New England Spider Cake" from Sarah Jampel. I don't have distilled vinegar or lemon juice. Can I acidulate the milk with cream of tartar?

asked by The Principal Cook over 3 years ago

The Principal Cook

Okay, never mind. I had 2 cups of buttermilk (just barely!), so I used that. I've also added white vinegar to my "must have in the pantry" list. ;-)

I'll let you know how it turns out.

LE BEC FIN

My answer would have been "No, go get vinegar or buttermilk.)
When you do add white vinegar to your pantry, try googling 'uses for white vinegar' and you will be amazed. Very useful!

The Principal Cook

And the answer is, it turned out beautifully with the buttermilk. And I now have white vinegar on hand.