A question about a recipe: Buttermilk-Streusel Coffee Cake

41df5fff 107c 491f bfc6 a359979b4298  coffeecake

I have a question about the recipe "Buttermilk-Streusel Coffee Cake" from erinmcdowell. How do you make this in a bundt pan and put the crumbs on at the end, when a bundt cake has to be inverted? Won't the crumbs be on the bottom of the cake, rather than the top?

asked by Jenny Bernstein over 3 years ago

I believe the kind of cake pan used was a bundt tube pan so that when the cake is done the tube part pulls through and the crumbs remain on top. You're right that with a regular bundt pan the crumbs would be on the bottom. This would also work in a 9x13 baking dish

Jenny Bernstein

thank you! phew, you saved me!

Erin McDowell
Erin McDowell

Baking consultant at large at Food52, and author of The Fearless Baker (Fall 2017)

Hi Jenny, I baked this in a straight edged bundt pan (think like an angel food cake pan), so it doesn't need to be inverted after baking, just unmolded. This cake is pretty flexible though, so it would work in a regular round or loaf pan too - just keep testing it with a toothpick to ensure doneness!