A question about a recipe: Hamantaschen

5312449a 9162 4934 913d a62c2548722a  hamentaschen1

I have a question about the recipe "Hamantaschen" from Rivka. How would you adjust this dough for a savory filling? Could you just reduce sugar or would you need to replace with something else for consistency?

asked by UhOhSarah over 3 years ago

Forget the hamentaschwn dough if you want to make a savory filling. Use a pasta dough that you would use for kreplach or ravioli (identical, as I once discovered). The name hamentaschen means "Haman's pockets"...so any pasta will do.

P.S. If you're making this for Purim, happy Purim.

Coming back to this thread again.
Found the dough in the original (sweet) hamentaschen recipe good but it had too many flavors (lemon rind) for a savory filling.
1st thoughts (last year) were to use a pasta dough, boil, fill & bake.
Now, I'm planning to use one or more doughs I can just fill with cheese, veggies or beans and bake.
Pizza dough, cracker dough, puff pastry or bureka dough.

Tamar

I love to do this for Purim. I have had tremendous success using a savory galette dough, and then folding the galette in a triangle instead of a circle. It's difficult to make them tiny, but a big one that is shared is fabulous. I like to do spinach, mushroom and feta, or roasted butternut squash and onions, or any other combination.

Tamar - thanks for the reminder of savory galette dough - good idea!

My thought was empanada dough. Sephardic cuisine includes a number of savory pies. Claudia Roden, The Book of Jewish Food, and Gil Marks, Olive Trees and Honey, included several versions of these doughs.

Mmm. Another good idea...and as empanadas are closed, they make an even better snack than an open tart.