A question about a recipe: Shrimp Pad Thai

393b2b53 d837 4b00 b53a 903631a35c21  5114668571 3bd186aa3d z

I have a question about the recipe "Shrimp Pad Thai" from mtlabor. I've made this recipe twice, and it turned out too tangy each time. I just tasted the tamarind. The second time I reduced the tamarind concentrate but it was still overpowering and missing something to balance the tanginess. Maybe I needed the sugar to melt more?

asked by TheResa about 3 years ago

nancy essig

Perhaps your Tang taster is higher then most. The recipe sounds perfect.

Christina Chiou

I also made this recipe tonight and only added 1 tablespoon of tamarind concentrate and it was completely inedible. Way too "tangy"- I also have no idea what happened since I followed the recipe EXACTLY.

nancy essig

I just made an amazing pad thai, the sauce was fish sauce, oyster sauce, ketchup, sugar, molasses and water with chili flakes. There is not usually vinigar in the sauce. that is what caused the dread "tang".

Jan Weber

I think I spotted the problem here. In my experience, tamarind concentrate is very very concentrated, usually comes in a jar. Whenever I've made Pad Thai sauce, I used tamarind paste or tamarind pulp that comes in a block, just reconstituted in water.