Our little rice cooker in a *new* rosy red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Iranian/Persian Fesenjoon (walnut and pomegranate dish) with Rice

A50bd140 9589 4d9e a894 f7fe2f747159  food52 09 25 12 8136

I have a question about the recipe "Iranian/Persian Fesenjoon (walnut and pomegranate dish) with Rice" from cookingProf. I made this on the stove top with mixed success (too dry and not as deep brown as the picture). I want to try with a 6 quart slow cooker, would I need to make any adjustments to quantities or liquids? Thank you

asked by Assya over 1 year ago

As a long simmering stew, it is perfect for a slow cooker.
I haven't made cookingProf's version, but I've done my favorite fesenjan recipe in the crockpot. The night before, I did the early steps of browning the meat and softening the onion, then I put everything but the walnuts and pom molasses in the crockpot in the fridge over night. Started it in the morning, and had my husband add the nuts and molasses at lunch time. (my original recipe calls for adding these later, I'm not sure if it is really needed) All I had to do when I got home was make rice!

107b2f56 af50 4b12 9c93 f1d56c73ade9  profile

Thank you very much Angela!
The one I looked up for inspiration recommends softening the onions with the walnuts and since I can't add them mid cooking, I will probably do that.
This dish is so good I can't get enough :)
How long did you cook it for? I assume it was on low?

I think I did low for 8 hours, then my cooker switched to warm for another two hours or so before I got home. With chicken thighs, it doesn't hurt to have them cook a bit longer.
It's one of our favorite meals. We've even got my two-year old niece hooked on this dish.