A question about a recipe: Miso and Honey Butter–Roast Chicken

95a7bada fe29 45c6 9fad 6204f00d4abc  2015 0324 honey finalist miso honey butter roast chicken bobbi lin 0420

I have a question about the recipe "Miso and Honey Butter–Roast Chicken" from Melanie K. . What kind of miso should I use for this tonight?

asked by meganvt01 over 3 years ago

keg72

I'd use white or yellow.

The recipe author mentions in the headnotes: "I've used aka (red) miso in this recipe, but feel free to use shiro (white/sweet) or awase (mixed) miso for a mellower flavor. Adapted from userealbutter.com.

Melanie K.

Hi Megan,

In the tested recipe, I used red miso (also called "aka" miso), which is the darkest/longest fermented type and has a more assertive flavour. If you have a different kind of miso on hand, however, use that!

The other types available are:
- White/shiro miso, which is the sweetest with the least salt content; you might want to decrease the amount of honey in the recipe, or omit it altogether if using this.
- Mixed/Awase miso, which is the most common type for miso soup; it's mellower than red, but is very adaptable for different recipes.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions about the recipe.