🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Sweet and Savory Overnight Roast Pork

D0da8160 b637 4a69 b90d 4bc7d91b836a  pork roast food52 mark weinberg 14 05 06 0148

I have a question about the recipe "Sweet and Savory Overnight Roast Pork" from Merrill Stubbs. I acquired a fresh ham and there is no way I will cook the whole thing at once. I plan to carve out a 3-4 lb piece and cook it using this recipe. Opinions? Googling fresh ham vs Boston butt it sounds like I should use the fattier part of the ham and make sure to leave a decent fat layer on it. Any other suggestions? If it ends up more a slicing than shredded meat that is fine. I have made recipe twice with shoulder with good results.

asked by caninechef over 2 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

I would follow your inclination and use the fattier part. Hope it comes out nicely!

Thanks for the reply, I will report back.

I cooked this 2 nights ago and reheated for dinner last night. Came out really well using the fresh ham. I used what I would say was the "top" section of the ham. Carved out about 4 lbs of the meat down to and including a layer of fat and connective tissue near the bone and left a good fatty layer on the top side. I probably could have cooked it more as it was not dry at all. Edges where shredding but interior sliced.

So glad to hear this!