Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Jeni Britton Bauer's Ice Cream Base For Home Ice Cream Machines

Dab3b767 0769 4e0e 9b2b 8ee0bf197c89  jenibb salty caramel icecream

I have a question about the recipe "Jeni Britton Bauer's Ice Cream Base For Home Ice Cream Machines" from Jeni Britton Bauer. I wanted to try Jeni Britton ice cream base but I don't want a quart of ice cream. Has anyone ever tried halving proportions?

asked by Assya over 1 year ago
Cav

You should first consult your ice cream machine instructions. Many cannot operate without a minimum amount of ice cream base as the paddles will not be able to stir small amounts properly, leading to uneven churning.

107b2f56 af50 4b12 9c93 f1d56c73ade9  profile

Thank you for answering!
My machine is a basic one and only yields a quart. There is no mention of a minimum amount so I think I'll give this a try.

aside from possible problems with a machine minimum volume, the ingredient list poses no problems for make half.

It's true, but I'm a very novice cook and learned the hard way that some recipes call for specific amount and if the proportions are changed it doesn't work as well.
I will try halving everything though and see if it works.

Eca756d6 2b82 4103 bb58 f1894dc4d268  capture

If it's just a proportions problem and not a machine issue (and it sounds like you aren't worried about the machine at this point), when reducing a recipe, rather than just splitting it, you can get more precise by working with percentages. For bread, for example, assume the flour is the "whole" part and everything else is a percentage of the flour weight, so if you have 400g flour and 11g salt, the salt weight is going to be 2.7% of the flour weight, and you can adjust accordingly.

For ice cream, your "whole" is probably going to be the cream. It usually requires some calculations (and often conversion to weight measures), but if you're really into something that looks like it might be finicky but the recipe is just going to make way too much for you, it's usually worth it to get the proportions right.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

assya,
if your machine is truly a 'basic one' it is posssible that the directions don't mention alot of important things. So what Cav said is even more important . You should know if there's going to be a problem- right when you pour in your base into the mchine. If your eyes can see that the paddles won't work right with this little a mixture, then stop the machine and make the other half of the base and add it so your machine has a full batch of base.

Hi all,

I finally got around to make a batch of ice cream.
I used the Splendid Lemon Cream Ice Cream also on Food52.

Halving the proportions went fine, I used the method ehbeesea recommended and calculated the percentage of each ingredient in grams against the cream. The machine worked fine, it stopped after 20 minutes and the consistency was dreamy.

However I had to substitute regular sugar with light brown sugar because it was the only thing I had on hand and I realized I was out of regular sugar only after I started the recipe.
And I made a mistake: I was supposed to use 20 grams of light corn syrup and while I was pouring straight in the pan I went up to 30 grams. Also I probably added too much corn starch, it was supposed to be 8 + 3 grams in the calculations but I think I added more (20 grams almost).
It still turned out good however, there is a cooked flour flavor I dislike. I assume it is because of the extra cornstarch or maybe a combination of the three mistakes I listed above. When I added the corn starch slurry, the mixture thickened even before I put it back on the stove and it had this cooked flour taste.
It is good enough in spite of this, I will try and be more careful next time :)

Thanks a lot to for your help, I really appreciate.