A question about a recipe: Diana Kennedy's Carnitas

I have a question about the recipe "Diana Kennedy's Carnitas" from Genius Recipes. Is it possible to make DK's carnitas in a crock pot? If so, how would I go about that? I have no heatproof dish/dutch oven, only a large metal pot. I would still plan to crisp the meat at the end in the rendered fat. Thank you SO much in advance :-)

• Posted by: Y.A.
  • June 4, 2015
69db6017 5873 4574 af78 a637c224cea1  5862540794 87eeec4b0f z
Recipe question for: Diana Kennedy's Carnitas

Y.A.
Y.A. June 4, 2015

Or, could I use a large metal pot, or would that completely mess it up?

Susan W June 4, 2015

I think using the pot is a better idea, but how huge is it? I'm not even sure what she means by "flameproof dish" unless she's speaking of the wonderful clay pots in Mexico. I use a Dutch oven. You should be fine. You'll just have to watch that the water doesn't evaporate too fast if the size of your post dwarfs your pork width wise. Does that make sense? You could use your slow cooker and do the Browning and crimping on the stove or on a sheet pan in the oven. Slow cookers create liquid, so you won't need to use a lot.

Stephanie G
Stephanie G June 4, 2015

The website thekitchn.com has recipe for carnitas in the slow cooker. You might want to take a look at it. I find the website to be a very reliable source.

Susan W June 4, 2015

I agree. Their advice is always spot on.

AntoniaJames June 4, 2015

I've made carnitas in a slow cooker before and it works great. It's important however to use a smallish slow cooker. Put it on high for about an hour, then turn it down to low; after a few hours, crack the lid occasionally just long enough to let out some steam without reducing the heat too much, and cook away. Incidentally, I like making bacon "carnitas" in a small crockpot. It produces partly chewy, partly crunchy, super-flavorful bits. ;o)

Susan W June 4, 2015

Wait a minute. Bacon carnitas? Splain yourself Lucy. My mouth is watering.

Niknud
Niknud June 4, 2015

Yah, what's a bacon carnitas? And how in the name of all that is holy can I make one?

Susan W June 4, 2015

I certainly hope AJ sees us pleading for info. Lol