A question about a recipe: Diana Kennedy's Carnitas

69db6017 5873 4574 af78 a637c224cea1  5862540794 87eeec4b0f z

I have a question about the recipe "Diana Kennedy's Carnitas" from Genius Recipes. Is it possible to make DK's carnitas in a crock pot? If so, how would I go about that? I have no heatproof dish/dutch oven, only a large metal pot. I would still plan to crisp the meat at the end in the rendered fat. Thank you SO much in advance :-)

asked by Y.A. over 3 years ago

Y.A.

Or, could I use a large metal pot, or would that completely mess it up?

I think using the pot is a better idea, but how huge is it? I'm not even sure what she means by "flameproof dish" unless she's speaking of the wonderful clay pots in Mexico. I use a Dutch oven. You should be fine. You'll just have to watch that the water doesn't evaporate too fast if the size of your post dwarfs your pork width wise. Does that make sense? You could use your slow cooker and do the Browning and crimping on the stove or on a sheet pan in the oven. Slow cookers create liquid, so you won't need to use a lot.

Stephanie G

The website thekitchn.com has recipe for carnitas in the slow cooker. You might want to take a look at it. I find the website to be a very reliable source.

I agree. Their advice is always spot on.

I've made carnitas in a slow cooker before and it works great. It's important however to use a smallish slow cooker. Put it on high for about an hour, then turn it down to low; after a few hours, crack the lid occasionally just long enough to let out some steam without reducing the heat too much, and cook away. Incidentally, I like making bacon "carnitas" in a small crockpot. It produces partly chewy, partly crunchy, super-flavorful bits. ;o)

Wait a minute. Bacon carnitas? Splain yourself Lucy. My mouth is watering.

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Yah, what's a bacon carnitas? And how in the name of all that is holy can I make one?

I certainly hope AJ sees us pleading for info. Lol

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks