A question about a recipe: My Mother's Strawberry Jam

10a8522a 6b83 44bd a194 1339db8e646c  2018 0606 my mothers strawberry jam 3x2 rocky luten 027

I have a question about the recipe "My Mother's Strawberry Jam" from Merrill Stubbs. I'm making a double batch with 8 cups of fresh picked strawberries and 2 cups of finely chopped Kumquats. Can I cut the amount of sugar to a total of 4 cups or will that affect the setting of the jam?. (I've also tossed in the kumquat pips tied up in some cheesecloth to extract the pectin)

asked by Panfusine about 3 years ago

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

I like to use calcium-activated (aka low-ester) pectin (Pomona's is the brand I have) when making jam, so I can add sugar just for flavor. I'd really recommend it, if you still have time to pick some up from the store!
I'll have to defer to others with more experience with traditional pectin on whether the mixture you have is sugary enough for that.

Panfusine

Thanks so much, It actually worked out beautifully, the fruit 'gelled' up beautifully, I'm guessing the citrus pips (from the kumquat and the lemon) really helped.