🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: My Mother's Strawberry Jam

B4f3e11b 5193 4952 88a1 cc8dd2631a22  jam

I have a question about the recipe "My Mother's Strawberry Jam" from Merrill Stubbs. I'm making a double batch with 8 cups of fresh picked strawberries and 2 cups of finely chopped Kumquats. Can I cut the amount of sugar to a total of 4 cups or will that affect the setting of the jam?. (I've also tossed in the kumquat pips tied up in some cheesecloth to extract the pectin)

asked by Panfusine over 2 years ago

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

I like to use calcium-activated (aka low-ester) pectin (Pomona's is the brand I have) when making jam, so I can add sugar just for flavor. I'd really recommend it, if you still have time to pick some up from the store!
I'll have to defer to others with more experience with traditional pectin on whether the mixture you have is sugary enough for that.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Thanks so much, It actually worked out beautifully, the fruit 'gelled' up beautifully, I'm guessing the citrus pips (from the kumquat and the lemon) really helped.