🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Maple Cream

4f132185 0fb7 46cf 8e18 59222b29972c  img 8363

I have a question about the recipe "Maple Cream" from Carey Nershi. how long would you process in a water bath?

asked by meet your baker about 2 years ago
B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

Hi, Meet Your Baker. I've done some research to see if I could figure out how long to process this product. First, no dairy product (cream) is safe for processing, so I considered only the option with oil. (Yes, commercial products might include dairy, but the processing temperatures are entirely different.)

I searched USDA recommendations and those from the National Center for Home Food Preservation. I can't find any similar recipes and because the viscosity and density of the maple cream is so variable, I do not recommend canning this product. Why not keep it in the refrigerator where it will hold for months?