A question about a recipe: Stuffed Pepperoncini

8ebacaa8 425e 4c5c 8659 c727b38f97c9  2015 0616 stuffed peperoncini stale bread alpha smoot 347

I have a question about the recipe "Stuffed Pepperoncini " from Hallie Meyer. OK, so, dumb question probably, but when the recipe tells you to "[turn] halfway through" during baking, does that mean to rotate the pan, or to flip the peppers? I feel like it has to be the former, right?

asked by Chris Hagan over 3 years ago

Hollie D

flip the peppers!

but-and sometimes it is still good to turn the pan 180 degrees because internal temperature of ovens is usually uneven, so the turning helps give each half of the pan the benefit of intensity at, say, front & back of oven.

Loma

wait, I would think turn the pan...

irina

Do both!

Hollie D

Yes do both

It seems to me if you flip the peppers, the filling would fall out. I make stuffed jalapenos and if I flipped them, the filling would end up on the pan. I do rotate them though.

It refers to the pirouette you do because you're halfway through to a good dinner.

ok, that was probably not very helpful ;)

Going by the photos, I'm guessing it's just a turn of the pan, not a flip of the peppers. I agree with Susan W - the stuffing would fall out if you flip.

sonya

I think that it's a very smart question, because I went to look at the recipe and it wasn't actually clearly written! Looks like a delicious recipe though! You want to flip the peppers for even cooking so that both sides get nicely browned. However, it is always a great idea to rotate any pan for baking/cooking because most ovens aren't evenly heating everywhere, so that will help to make up for the imperfections in our ovens. I think that the author meant to say to flip them, because every recipe for roasted veggies I've made says to do that, but since she used the terminology that is usually used in baking when they tell you to rotate your cookie sheets or cake pan, I thought that it was written very confusingly. No offense to the author at all, no one is perfect and these look fantastic! I just don't think it's a dumb question :)