A question about a recipe: Deep-Dish Cherry Pie

Fc675daa 2a2e 4fd9 b519 a46498053b50  2015 0601 how to make deep dish pie mark weinberg 443

I have a question about the recipe "Deep-Dish Cherry Pie" from erinmcdowell. There are many comments about the amount of cornstarch in this recipe. Is the correct amount 3/4 cup cornstarch?

asked by Deb about 3 years ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I haven't made the pie, but I imagine since its deep-dish, its meant to be sliceable to an extent. It would probably take that amount of cornstarch to make 4 lbs of cherries set enough to slice this pie without a complete mess.

Deb

Thank you!

I would encourage you to make it as its written (after all, they probably would have caught the amount, were it a misprint), and adjust it to your preferences. If I were to sell a cherry pie in my bakery, the set is important....but, to be honest, when I'm making one at home....I prefer a slice that slops out a bit, versus one that's too gelled with starch.

lapadia

RE: the cornstarch amount in this pie:
Some of the recipe comments reference your same question.
This pie has been awarded a community pick by the editors’ which leads me to believe it is “recipe tested” (?). So, I’d email the editors and/or message the recipe author for clarification.