A question about a recipe: Raw, Vegan Strawberry Vanilla Cheesecake

5e27ea7a b06e 4231 b3bf 98f24e5e756e  cheesecake1

I have a question about the recipe "Raw, Vegan Strawberry Vanilla Cheesecake" from Gena Hamshaw. Can I use a tart pan instead of a springform pan?

asked by Adri over 3 years ago

I think it might be risky to substitute a tart pan because it isn't as deep as a springform pan. From the photo, the cake appears to be taller than a traditional tart.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Depends on the depth of your tart pan. Some have walls 2 - 3" tall. If you're using a traditional tart pan, you're going to end up with a lot of ingredients left over. If you do have a tall tart pan, I would recommend building a thin crust all the way up the side. A removable bottom and an expandable collar don't really operate the same way. Especially with tart pans, which often taper.

magpiebaker

it depends on how tall your tart pan is, and whether it has a removable bottom; if it's at least 1.5" tall (with the same diameter) and has a removable bottom I'd say go for it. If it's shorter, or doesn't have a removable bottom you might run into problems with overflow or messy slices but if these might not bother you.

Even if it is deep enough, the ridged edge of the tart tin could cause a messy finish to that crumb crust. I'd use a cake pan with a removable bottom before I'd use a deep tart pan. ;o)