A question about a recipe: Lazy Mary's Lemon Tart

Ecaac223 4c57 4926 aa7b 97be6d54d8d2  food52 12 18 12 1328

I have a question about the recipe "Lazy Mary's Lemon Tart " from dymnyno. About how big should the meyer lemon be? My friend's tree grows them from the size of a regular x-large lemon to the size of a large orange! Should I add an extra egg for a larger lemon?

asked by Marcie about 3 years ago

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Marcie - Are you positive it's a Meyer lemon tree? If so, I'd suggest using the x-large size which you describe as being closest to the average size lemon. I'll be curious to see how others weigh in on your question.

Marcie

Yes, it's a meyer lemon, and another friend also has a tree that makes giant lemons. The large ones are perhaps closest to the size of an average navel orange, or a large valencia.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

After further research I found that the author of this recipe has another similar recipe called Improved Lazy Mary's Lemon Tart where she provides an estimate of weight for the lemon as between 1 1/2 - 1/3/4 ounces. Best of luck!

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

...should be between 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 ounces...

SMSF
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

Now this really piqued my curiosity, so i just weighed some of the Meyer lemons from my tree (just picked). A couple of them are close to 7 ounces each. What a tart that would make!