A question about a recipe: Cardamom cake with cloudberry cream

I have a question about the recipe "Cardamom cake with cloudberry cream" from fiveandspice. When do I add the vanilla? Missed it and the cake is in the overnight, but question is for next time! Thanks for the recipe- LOVE cardamom!

Pat Hampton
Pat Hampton August 8, 2015

Ha! Doubt it will make it overnight- meant oven!

PieceOfLayerCake August 8, 2015

In general, vanilla goes into a recipe with other liquid ingredients. If there's milk, yogurt, buttermilk or sour cream, I usually mix it in....in this recipe, mix it in with the eggs. Since vanilla doesn't contribute to the chemical structure of a recipe, it doesn't really matter when you toss it in as long as it incorporates.

Pat Hampton
Pat Hampton August 8, 2015

Thanks pieceoflayercake! The addition of vanilla was omitted from the instructions...wasn't sure if it was incorporated into the actual cake or the cloudberry/cream. Either way I'm about to cut into the cake - I'm sure it will be great!

Nancy August 8, 2015

you could incorporate the forgotten vanilla into the cloudberry cream, where it will add flavor and not really change texture/liquidity.

702551
702551 August 8, 2015

Add the liquid vanilla extract at the same time with the sugar to the beaten eggs.