A question about a recipe: Massaged Kale Salad with Radish, Apple, Avocado, and Roasted Sunflower Seeds

B9e45bbb 4dfb 4f46 8165 a5876cef133e  salad

I have a question about the recipe "Massaged Kale Salad with Radish, Apple, Avocado, and Roasted Sunflower Seeds" from Eating Is Art. I'm trying to not go to the store, so could I sub in dried fruit (ie cherries) for the apple, walnuts or pecans for the sunflower seeds, and ground ginger vs fresh? I was also thinking of throwing in a fresh heirloom tomato. Not sure if this salad needs the crunchy contrast which is why I'm asking!

asked by Megan Town about 3 years ago

It's really a judgment call on you. Basically, you are altering a recipe and making something new. People have been doing this since the very first prepared dish was ever made.

Of course, it will no longer be "Massaged Kale Salad with Radish, Apple, Avocado, and Roasted Sunflower Seeds" from Eating Is Art, but "Massaged Kale Salad with Tomato, Dried Cherries, Ground Ginger, and Walnuts" from Megan Town's kitchen.

Personally, I think ground ginger would be a poor substitute for fresh ginger and that's because I'm familiar with both products. Same thing with trying to sub dried fruit for totally different fresh fruit. I know what a dried cherry tastes like and I know what fresh apple tastes like. You could try the substitution, but you should expect a radically different flavor profile.

But it's ultimately your choice. After all, you're the one who has to eat it and no one here knows your flavor/taste preferences like you do.

Megan Town

Got it, thanks!