The Italian nonstick pro chefs swear by, exclusive to us! Shop now »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Crème Fraîche Plum Cake with Plum Caramel

12846054 c203 45d8 b763 220e03f60747  2015 0728 santa rosa plum cake with creme fraiche james ransom 091

I have a question about the recipe "Crème Fraîche Plum Cake with Plum Caramel" from Sarah Jampel. I want to savor-ize this cake to use tomatoes instead- any ideas for how to compensate for less sugar while maintaining good texture?

asked by chez_mere over 1 year ago

I've had good results (no change in texture) when cutting white sugar by as much as half.
for a a useful post and comments about this very issue from thekitchn, & referral to the great Shirley Corriher, see:
http://www.thekitchn.com...

686525a5 3e4c 4531 b30d ababed5ea68d  img 0059

Had a look at the recipe. Tomatoes have much more liquid in them, so they are going to release their juices into the batter. My suggestion would be to make an upside-down cake. I would place tomato slices on the bottom of a well greased pan, drizzle reduced balsamic over the tomatoes. Make the batter as per the suggestion below (use half the amount of sugar) and bake. Good luck.