A question about a recipe: Peanut Butter Cookies

I have a question about the recipe "Peanut Butter Cookies" from Merrill Stubbs. I've made these before and they are delicious. I want to make the dough and freeze it to take on a trip to see my daughter (a pb cookie fanatic). Here is what I planned to do. Make the dough, chill, roll in balls and gently flatten with fork. Then freeze the cookies. Do you think that would work, and would the bake time (10 minutes) be about the same?

Ae7dcf29 dd85 447b 8384 00ca4ad2fe95  food52 11 22 11 0899
Recipe question for: Peanut Butter Cookies

Catonei11
Catonei11 August 20, 2015

Yes, that would definitely work. I'm not sure how long the trip will be to see your daugther but if the cookies are still frozen by the time you get there, then add a minute or two to the baking time. If they have thawed, then the bake time should be the same. You've inspired me to bake these at the weekend!

NotTooSweet
NotTooSweet August 20, 2015

Thanks so much! Between your answer and PieceofLayerCake's answer I feel more confident about trying this. They should still be frozen by the time I get there and I hoped to give her the frozen cookies to bake whenever she had the urge. Love this site!

PieceOfLayerCake August 20, 2015

I've never met a cookie dough that doesn't freeze well! Drop cookies are generally "done" when they're lightly browned around the edges and still soft in the middle. Since ovens vary so wildly, and since cookies have such a short baking time, I would just check on them after 8 minutes or so. I usually lift an edge and if the cookie bends softly but doesn't crack/break at all (and if the aforementioned visual cues are there), its done.

NotTooSweet
NotTooSweet August 20, 2015

Thank you so much for the great information! I added your notes to my recipe and my tips folder. I have baked some, but I'm definitely still learning, especially about knowing when to take cookies out of the oven - I generally overbake so your tips are especially helpful. I have to say (again!) that this food site is truly the best website I've ever used. The recipes, comments, articles - just fabulous. But the best part are the people on the site, such a positive, food-loving, creative and knowledgeable bunch! Love Food52! Thanks again.