A question about a recipe: Olive Oil Ricotta Cake with Plums

406f0d52 c929 4341 aed4 75530efa29ba  cake

I have a question about the recipe "Olive Oil Ricotta Cake with Plums" from Kenzi Wilbur. Can this cake be made with almond meal or a different gluten free alternative flour? Thank you!

asked by Mads almost 3 years ago

Community Editor at Food52

In the comments, the recipe author suggests trying Cup4Cup to make it gluten free, but I don't know that anyone has tried it with almond meal or another gluten free alternative flour. If you do, report back!

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

If you use cup4cup flour, one could just leave out ¼ of it and replace it with almond flour. Gluten free flours are really absorbent of liquids, so let the batter rest a few minutes before baking and it should be fine. The only thing I'm concerned about is the fat content of the recipe. GF flours don't absorb fats as efficiently as wheat flours, so often baked goods can come out slightly more greasy. I would recommend using just a GF blend (cup4cup is really quite incredible), and skip the almond meal.