Anyone have any experience using sun dried tomatoes, aubergines, and/or leeks?

I'm curious if any food52ers have any experience using sun dried tomatoes, aubergines, and/or leeks in recipes? Could you tell me what worked and what didn't? Any experiences both good and bad would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

asked about 3 years ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I've worked with them all and I can tell you this.....melted leeks are heaven.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

PieceOfLayerCake - Thank you for responding to my question. Would you might elaborating on your experience?

Sure! Its a common "condiment" in my house. Its very simple: A few leeks, a few tablespoons of butter, a pinch of salt, maybe some cracked pepper...maybe not. Cook that sllooowwwwwwly over the lowest heat for as long as they can possibly stand it. Depending on what I'm using them for, I may add fresh dill for poached salmon, thyme for roast chicken, parsley for a fantastic omelet, a spoonful of apricot jam and a dash of sherry vinegar for a fantastic sandwich spread, basil for a tomato salad, the sky is the limit!

Garlic Fiend

Ditto! They taste like butter when "melted." Leeks are nice slow roasted with pork roast. I also like them in Irish oatmeal & leek soup--think cream of potato, but with oatmeal. Some recipes actually use potatoes and oatmeal. Very delicious.

Aubergines I like cut into cubes and steamed and tossed with a soy-ginger based dressing. Or sliced and layered with sliced tomatoes, corgettes, yellow squash, and onions in a tian and roasted to perfection. I also like aubergines in Persian beef stew. I can't find the recipe I use online anymore, so just google it and pick your favorite ones.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Thank you for all the ideas so far! I'd like to clarify something as I see that my original question wasn't completely clear. The leeks and aubergines are sun dried as well as the tomatoes. Although, I'm guessing sun dried leeks would still taste great melted slowly on the stove.

Sun dried tomatoes are not all created equal. The most common, whole dark colored plum tomatoes taste nothing like tomatoes and have to be treated as an entity unto themselves. There are softer varieties that come closer and can be used without reconstituting them, and at least one company makes dried tomato slices ("Just Tomatoes") that are red colored and actually do have a lot of tomato taste.