A question about a recipe: Pistachio and Honey Crème Brûlée

7790a412 3263 4f09 9d2f c57c6f065331  img 8651

I have a question about the recipe "Pistachio and Honey Crème Brûlée" from Ashley Rodriguez. Two questions - is the idea that the nuts will be strained out? and if i make it in advance, do i bring to room temp or leave chilled? thanks!

asked by UhOhSarah about 3 years ago

No, the nuts are incorporated in the custard, no straining is indicated in the recipe. Besides the nuts are finely chopped.

Keep in the fridge until you are ready to glaze and serve promptly. That's what restaurant pastry kitchens do.

UhOhSarah

In fact, straining is indicated in the recipe, in step 5. So I'm wondering whether the nuts are meant to be ground finely enough that they make it through the sieve, or if they are just used for flavor.

Well, I'll be darned, I didn't see that in step 5. My apologies.

Yes, the nut fragments are meant to be strained out, they contribute flavor, but not texture.

Straining also remove some of the lumps from the custard mix, pretty standard practice for custards.

I suspect the nuts are meant to be strained out, so they just infuse their flavor into the mix w/o adding potentially off-putting texture. Rose Levy Berenbaum has a pistachio creme anglaise recipe in the Cake Bible that does the same thing and it is delicious, and tastes obviously of pistachio.

Also I love a crème brûlée to be cold and creamy with a shattering almost burnt sugar crust.

UhOhSarah

Awesome I'm gonna give it a trial run tonight for a dinner party on Fri. Thanks for your help :)