Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Lentil Ratatouille

5e0132da 8332 47f0 8ff4 910d2fbbf7ab  1438813829698

I have a question about the recipe "Lentil Ratatouille " from Colleen Stem. The ingredients are incomplete and/or confusing. What is "1 dried lentils" 1 cup, 1 bag, 1 pound? Also, the directions say to add water but it's not listed in the ingredients. How much? Add water according to package directions? It won't be possible to test this as written.

asked by Stephanie about 1 year ago
8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

She has the recipe on her blog. Here it is: lentil ratatouille
Makes 2-3 big servings (if serving with pastas or rice, its more like 4-5 servings)

1 medium zucchini
1 medium yellow summer squash
1 medium onion
1 small eggplant
3-4 cloves garlic
1 cup dried lentils
1/2 cup water
3 medium to large tomatoes
handful fresh basil leaves
a few glugs of balsamic vinegar
couple sprigs of fresh oregano
olive oil
salt and pepper
Drizzle a little olive oil into a large pot. Dice up the onion and place on medium heat and cook for a few minutes. Mince up the garlic and chop up the remaining veggies into medium sized pieces. Once the onion is cooke a bit and strting to smell oh so nice, toss the veggies and garlic into the pot. Mix, sprinkle with salt and pepper and place a lid on it. Cook for a few minutes to draw out a bit of liquid from the veggies. Now add in the lentils and the water. Stick the lid back on and let cook for about 30 minutes on medium low heat or until the lentils are starting to soften.

When the lentils are mostly soft, but still have a bit of biet, dice the fresh herbs and toss into pot with a few swings of balsamic vinegar. Stir and cook for another 8-10 minutes or until the lentils are full cooked.

Remove from heat and ladle into bowls..

Serve with rice, pasta, bread, a big old pile of fresh greens, or just as it is.

Eats fantastic right aways, or cold late at night standing in front of the fridge..

Helpful, thanks! I didn't even think to look for a blog post - duh.

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

I have some equally strong opinions about online recipes (or anything else on the Internet): there is no copy editing on the Internet.

The Internet is full of garbage information that is poorly vetted and edited. Many times, we have seen Food52 recipes submitted by individuals that differ from the same recipe published elsewhere.

This isn't a specific criticism of Food52.com. This is prevalent all over the Internet, whether it be food, technology, auto repair, whatever.

When you see a "recipe" or other instruction set on the Internet, view it with great skepticism. There is a great likelihood that it is simply wrong.\

Anyhow, the next time you find an anomaly in a Food52 recipe, just contact the author. After all, they are the authority on the document in question.

Good luck.

So true. Wouldn't life be better if a copy editor followed everyone around? (Well maybe not "better" but certainly more clear!)

I appreciate this site because it's such a mix of "professionals" who think they know everything (they don't) to kids in High School who have never boiled water. Quit trying to change the site people. It's wonderful the way it is.

@Susan W I agree that the variety is an asset. Certainly wasn't trying to suggest that the site be changed, I was really just looking for clarity on a recipe that I wanted to test as a Community Pick (one that I might not have tried so quickly without that catalyst) but couldn't test as written. I do recognize that my tone my have been a little more brusque than necessary - apologies if it gave offense.

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

I agree with the case in question. However, that being said and having suffered from typos, hangovers, sleep deprivation and other catastrophies while submitting receipes, I am always open to questions and try to respond quickly if one comes up. And, unlike other sites, I have found most of the folks here on F52 completely friendly and open to questions about their recipes. I'm all for clarity but (since I'm not a professional or even a ranked amateur) I appreciate the good humor and flexibility that most of my online food-nerdy friends show me and I try to extend to others.

My post disappeared, but thank you for perfectly putting into words what I was thinking.

I certainly agree that "stuff happens" - no big deal, generally. But it is rather frustrating that the powers that be would select an incomplete recipe for inclusion as a contest finalist. It's awfully hard to test a recipe that's missing - and why I asked the question. Not with malice or any intention of projecting a holier than thou attitude - though my frustration seems to have been inadvertently projected anyway. I do appreciate how responsive and receptive people are - certainly agree with you on that.

Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Hahaha - I think we can all agree that nobody's in trouble. Maybe enough to get "disappointed Mom-face" but not enough to get "sent to their room to think about what they've done." I agree with both those that expressed their frustration as well as those that are a bit more indulgent. Maybe because I've both horked up a posting before (see this week's recipe), and had a scratch-my-head moment at 2 T of salt where I think it was meant to be 2 t.

We're all human and this is a site that encourages home cooks. Want perfection? Start your own site. See how that goes. I'm sending EVERYONE to their room.

I'll repeat, Susan W, given the rounds and amounts of funding that Food52 has received, not to mention the sheer number of editors of this, that, and the other thing, it has, one would think that recipes tossed out for CP and finalist testing would at least have been read through.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

It is disconcerting to try to follow a recipe with incomplete or incorrect ingredients due to a slip up on the part of the recipe's author. ( I am guilty of that on a few occasions). I think it would be reasonable on the part of food52 staff to contact a user whose recipe is up for a possible CPN when the ingredient deck or the instructions are incomplete or unclear to get clarification.